Went on a walk with my family this evening. Ben had the double stroller, I had the single, just enjoying conversation and exercise in the great outdoors. We were starting our way up the hill when my husband's abrupt, "Stop!" scared the fool out of me...there just a few feet in front of us directly in our path lay a Copperhead, probably about a foot and a half long. He called a neighbor whose house we had just passed who came running up the road with his shovel to behead the creature. We were a little nervous the remainder of our walk, but were reminded of God's goodness for sure.
I was thinking of how I have been walking and jogging in the evenings some this Summer, and it has usually been dark at least the last leg of my exercise. I started talking about how amazing it is that the Lord protects us SOOOOOOOOOO much more than we ever know!!! Then I thought about how many nights I ran during high school and college. I wonder if I've ever just jogged right over danger without every knowing it. Our evening and lives could have been very different had we taken 2 or 3 more steps without looking down (which I am sure I would have!!). What a gracious God to have my more attentive husband with me at the point in time that I would cross paths with a Copperhead and to keep us from making contact.
Then I, of course, took the teachable moment to talk to Emma (the only one still awake!) about obedience and what would have happened if I had not listened to Daddy IMMEDIATELY. We talked about how God gave us to her to protect her and that we will not ever tell her to do anything that isn't for her protection and good. She was very proud to add how obedient she was to stay in the stroller when we saw the snake too. : ) That actually was probably hard for her because she LOVES to check out every animal and insect.
Sometimes I would just like to see a few hours of my life from God's point of view and see just how much he actually does protect me. I pray desperately for his spiritual and physical protection over my children, but I know I cannot even begin to know the extent to which he does that. I try to visualize his angels guarding my children's beds and the walls of our home as I pray Psalm 4:8 over them at night, "I will lie down and sleep in peace for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."
Sometimes it's so hard to let go and trust God to protect my children. But then I am reminded that He truly is The Protector, and there is nothing in this world I can do to come close to providing the protection my children really need. Again and again, parenthood brings me to the foot of the throne helpless...right where I should be!
Monday, August 01, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment